It has been a hot minute since I have created a list of my favorite influencers and social media stars. Last year, I uploaded three different lists of my favorite health and fitness YouTubers based on the amount of subscribers they have (<100K, <500K, and >500K–note that there are updates regarding subscriber count since some of these people have exceeded the quantity of subscribers listed now! It’s amazing to see my favorite influencers grow!). However, I noticed that I had never featured a list of my favorite vegan influencers–okay, some of the lists above have social media channels of people that happen to be vegan, but their content revolves more around fitness. This post centers around emphasizing channels that prioritize teaching others about the vegan lifestyle through culinary mastery, recipe videos, restaurant hopping, discussion about activism, debunking myths, and teaching others about vegan nutrition.
The list does not rank anyone in particular order. Just like in my previous lists, I will have three of my favorite videos from each channel to share–specifically, these videos are awesome for introducing you to the channel and understanding what purposes they serve in the online vegan world and what makes each of them unique (not all listed videos are related to veganism). While twenty five may seem like quite a large amount to address on one list, you will find hundreds of thousands, if not already MILLIONS, of vegan YouTubers online.
Just as a critical statement, I do not watch every single video from each of these channels (in fact, for most of these channels, I watch around 30-60%. Hey, I’m picky!). I choose what I want to consume and I leave what does not appeal or serve me. None of these YouTubers are perfect–they may have videos that you personally would not resonate with. Like how you would for any television/social media channel, show, and so forth, proceed with what you desire and need to watch while avoiding what is not beneficial to you.
- Avant Garde Vegan: I would be an absolute delinquent for not mentioning Gaz Oakley. Having started working in restaurants since childhood and growing a blossoming career as a vegan chef (mayn of his recipes are served at restaurants!), I’d argue that Avant Garde Vegan has some of the most phenomenally crafted vegan recipe videos in the world. While many of his recipes are grandiosely fancy and innovative, he has plenty of videos with simple and quick-to-whip-up meals that are high in protein and loaded with wholesome food.
- Pick Up Limes: PRAISE for the vegans experienced in dietetics! Sadia’s approach centers around an open-minded and holistic viewpoint on dieting, nutrition, and developing a peaceful relationship with all kinds of food. While her recipes are not entirely out-of-the-box, they are incredibly nourishing, colorful, and of course, all vegan! Also, I love her videos about eating healthier, creating a balanced approach on dieting, sharing all the meals she eats at home versus when traveling, and how she doesn’t impose veganism on others.
- Shine With Plants: this woman popped up on my Instagram a few months ago and I’ve been hooked on her YouTube channel ever since. Fabiola is so positive! On top of that, she has proven that you can raise a healthy and beautiful family on a vegan diet that consists of mostly fresh produce, whole grains, healthy fats, and legumes (fun fact: they’re bilingual–they also speak French!). While she follows a mostly raw vegan diet, she has plenty of high protein recipes and nourishing meals that anyone would love.
- Mary’s Test Kitchen: Nothing entertains me more than experimenting in the kitchen, and Mary of Mary’s Test Kitchen has some of the best vegan experimental cooking recipes out there! Not only is her way of making chicken out of tofu absolutely INSANE where it looks like seitan, her scope of recipes extend beyond the average spectrum of salads and vegetable curries along with fruit-based desserts. There are videos for vegan milk bread, beef buns, fried eggs, cream doughnuts, and even some basics such as how to make tofu, vegan naan, and kimchi!
- Unnatural Vegan: okay, there is a lingering notion that all vegans are against GMO’s, vaccines, the government, and even others not being vegan! Swayze is one of my favorite vegans on YouTube because her discussions on many subjects are extremely well-articulated, thoroughly researched, and true to credible and factual evidence (not just random studies, but WELL DONE studies!). Her channel comprises of more than plenty of videos responding to some faulty forms of vegan influence, debunking myths about veganism, and very informative content on vegan parenthood and proper nutrition.
- UPDATE: in light of the videos regarding Black Lives Matter, I am no longer subscribed to Unnatural Vegan (though this does not change that much of her other content is extremely high-quality and contains valuable information about veganism). Having said that, I still highly recommend the videos below if you want to learn more about other cases on veganism.
- Caitlin Shoemaker: I love Caitlin’s channel! She has a lovely blog and some entertaining videos that are very suitable for anyone on a budget, for those who care about food waste, and people who just want simple but nourishing recipes. Her way of eating is very well-balanced and focused on wholesome food, but even more importantly, it is relatable (seriously!)–nothing extremely grandiose or complicated! Plus, Caitlin and Dylan seem wonderfully genuine and adorable! (We met at VegFest LA a few years ago and she is insanely talented at cooking and is truly super sweet!)
- Healthy Crazy Cool: yes, I HAD to include the tahini king on my list. How could I not?! Anyways, Miles (he is a nutritionist from the UK, which entails much better credentials and education than those of the US) has a view on vegan diets and nutrition that is just a breath of fresh air. Truth be told, to hear a vegan nutritionist address how crucial it is to consume healthy fats, refrain from refined sugar, and embrace an appetite of a horse, is magnificent!
- The Viet Vegan: Ah, nothing beats vegan Vietnamese food. Well, that’s a lie. What does beat vegan Vietnamese food is a wonderfully lovable, funny, and down-to-earth person behind the creation of vegan Vietnamese food! Not only this, Lisa has some of the most gorgeous non-Vietnamese recipes (check out her fluffy blueberry pancakes recipe!) and the most entertaining travel vlogs.
- Edgy Veg: Any vegan channel that takes cooking to the next level and draws inspiration from all kinds of sources is my kind of channel. That’s why Candice’s platform HAD to be included on this list! While I love her more basic recipes as well, what truly catches my eye are her experimental videos and her cooking hacks. Not to mention–she’s absolutely hilarious and lovely!
- Julien Solomita: No doy–it would have been brutally sinful of me to disregard Julien Solomita. Many people recognize him as Jenna Marbles’ beloved significant other (they are nearly the perfect vegan couple), but he also has one of the most widely engaged and creative vegan recipe channels online! All of his videos are really neat with a fun spin on various recipes. What’s also very wonderful is how much his videos appeal to non-vegans to encompass how a perhaps niche lifestyle is easily attractive to many others!
- hot for food: talk about delicacies left and right! Lauren Toyota is a woman of many, many talents. Not only is she an amazing cook, but she seems wonderfully genuine, creative, and open-minded to traveling, writing, manifestation, and being true to your dreams and needs (see her personal channel).
- Veggiekins: Remi is such a warm, kindhearted, and beautiful soul. I love her holistic approach towards veganism, physical health, nutrition, and mental health. Her videos never fail to exhibit a positive ray of sunshine in anyone’s day, ESPECIALLY with how she promotes veganism, plus they are beautifully edited!
- Mic the Vegan: nothing is more refreshing than a viewpoint that understands science, effective research, and a sprinkle of fun here and there! I met Mic at VegFest LA two years ago and he is just as intelligent and true to his work in person as he seems on camera! You will love his videos if you are interested in researching about veganism analytically in detail.
- SweetPotatoSoul: Jenne is insanely sweet and genuine, but she also offers an incredibly vivid and informative view on approaching veganism! I love that she centers her diet around wholesome foods and aims to share other ways to reduce our carbon footprint and negative impact on others. Many of her videos tackle sub-topics within veganism, such as wedding planning, pregnancy, motherhood, and beginner tips for going vegan.
- Cheap Lazy Vegan: Rose is the BEST. She is authentically true to her experience and observations about veganism while showcasing SUCH a refreshing take on how to live a healthy vegan lifestyle. Not everyone can or wants to create elaborate meals that take heaps of time, so Rose’s channel is the PERFECT resource for insightful mukbangs, phenomelnal budget-friendly meal ideas along with a very accepting and non-dogmatic or black-and-white approach on vegan subjects (P.S. She hosted a meetup several years ago in California and we all ended up having vegan sushi for dinner! It is still one of my favorite vegan meet-ups to this day!).
- Vegan Bodegacat: one of the smaller channels on my list, but is well-deserving of more subscribers! Rebecca makes some of the most entertaining vlogs on restaurant crawls, travel videos, and food reviews–seriously, you will gain some MASSIVE New York fever after watching them! I love how cheery but authentic she is in her reviews and overall videos–plus, her and Berto are such an adorable couple!
- Rachel Ama: This channel is one of the more recent additions on my list–so far, I love Rachel’s videos a ton! The recipes look insanely colorful, nutritious, but not at all skimpy on flavor and creativity. Her travel videos are also some of my favorites because of the gorgeous editing. Not to mention–she is so creative and has some of the most entertaining collab videos!
- Lisa Kitahara: AMAZING, AMAZING. Lisa needs X10 if not X20 more subscribers than she has now because her videos of vegan food and cooking are brilliant! Each recipe is very easy to create and they are all nutritionally balanced with some macronutrients more emphasized than others. More importantly, Lisa has such a vibrant and positive personality that you can’t get enough of!
- Zanna van Dijk: another newer channel on my list, Zanna! I adore her chill and genuine personality as well as how she consumes mostly healthy foods, but enjoys herself without deprivation or obsession with being perfect! Her meals are very practical and balanced, but fun at the same time. Additionally, if you love home workouts, check out her exercise videos!
- What’s Good, Berto?: I discovered Berto’s Instagram from his guest star presence at the Circle V Fest in 2017, which led me to his YouTube channel, which is absolutely marvelous! He has a diverse array of videos–vegan food, restaurant hopping, fitness, random vlogs, fun videos with his girlfriend, and more heartfelt chats–but maintains a holistic and open-minded approach to veganism. Berto is extremely insightful about many topics about veganism, co-parenting, mental health, and many more.
- High Carb Hannah: Hannah is known for her INSANE weight loss transformation thanks to a vegan diet, making it her mission to help others do the same. While I wouldn’t pursue weight loss all the time, her videos are incredibly helpful and refreshing regarding those topics. However, I also adore her take on improving waste reduction, implementing more fruits and vegetables, and dealing with body image struggles. Trust me when I say that she is such a kind soul–I met her at VegFest LA a few years back and she glows just as radiantly, if not more!
- Sweet Simple Vegan: The first duo channel on this list–Jasmine and Chris encompass the most perfect two peas in a pod! Their videos are collectively a bundle of joy and excitement with all the fun recipes they create alongside their heartfelt Q&A’s, full day of eating videos, and vlogs. I LOVE their food challenges where they try different recipes of certain themes and at various places, but even more so how much chemistry and kindness Jasmine and Chris have. I’ve met them several times at vegan festivals such as VegFest and Eat Drink Vegan. They are so wonderful and genuine in person!
- Happy Healthy Vegan: Anji and Ryan are absolutely marvelous! I love how transparent they are about many aspects of veganism (the struggles and benefits), plus Anji has such peaceful energy and Ryan has very intellectual energy. What’s cool is how they will make solo videos so that we can view more of what their individual personalities are like, but they are an adorable couple! Like some other YouTubers above, I have met them at some vegan conventions such as Eat Drink Vegan and Vegan Street Fair–they are incredibly sweet and loving when you talk to them!