WOW. Two entire years as a vegan. I am so incredibly ecstatic and grateful that I have discovered this lifestyle AND am flourishing with it! I remember posting a statement on my blog that pertains to the reasons why I chose veganism, plus a follow-up with how I felt about it. My official entrance into the lifestyle began on August 24th. Since I will be working for the majority of today, I plan on saving my veganniversary celebration for tomorrow. I’ll be filming everything of my day as well, which is incredibly exciting!
For now, I thought I’d share my current vegan-related favorites to showcase how many incredible vegan resources, products, and brands there are already in business! It’s marvelous to discover all kinds of companies who are passionate about living a lifestyle refraining from harm and suffering towards sentient beings. Aside from my personal favorites, I even barely scratched the surface. There are hundreds of thousands of other brands that either are completely vegan or have products that cater towards the vegan community. It’s wonderful!
FAVORITE VEGAN RESOURCES
- Nutrition: VeganHealth.org and The Vegan RD
- Environment: Cowspiracy
- Ethics and Philosophy: Vegan Society
FAVORITE VEGAN COMPANIES
FAVORITE VEGAN FOOD PRODUCTS
- Snack: BoomChickaPop Light Kettle Corn
- Cookie snack: Lenny and Larry’s Snickerdoodle Cookie (White Chocolate Macadamia, Lemon Poppyseed, Pumpkin Spice, and Peanut Butter come SUPER close!
- Frozen Dessert: So Delicious No Sugar Added Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Low Calorie Dessert: Halo Top Dairy Free Ice Cream
- Meat Alternative: iGreeen Teriyaki-Flavored Soy Steak
- Peanut butter: Laura Scudders Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Candy: Justin’s dark chocolate nut butter-filled cups
- Cereal: Trader Joe’s Crunchy Maple Ladders
- Granola: Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Protein Granola
- Bean-based snack: Enlightened Sweet Cinnamon Broad Bean Crisps
FAVORITE HOMEMADE VEGAN MEALS (all that I prepare at home)
- Pitted dates
- A bowl of granola with fresh berries
- Beans with vegetables
- Roasted kabocha squash and sweet potatoes
- Vegetable curry
- Tofu salad
- Nice cream
FAVORITE VEGAN-FRIENDLY RESTAURANTS/CAFES/BAKERIES/STORES (all have a completely plant-based menu or have an extensive amount of vegan options)
- Japanese: Shojin
- Vietnamese: Vinh Loi Tofu
- Thai: VeStation
- Chinese: Garden Wok
- Indian: Samosa House
- Primarily raw vegan: Wild Living Foods
- Organic: three-tied between Cafe Gratitude, SunCafe Organic, and Vegetable
- Fast food: Veggie Grill
- Bakery: Erin McKenna’s
- Ice cream scoop shop: Cocobella Creamery
- Frozen yogurt shop: The Bigg Chill Frozen Yogurt
- Donut shop: Donut Friend
- Juice bar: Pressed Juicery
- Chocolatier: Mama Ganache Artisan Chocolates
- Cafe: Bliss Cafe
- Online bakery: Miss Teaberry’s Baked Goods
HOW’S VEGANISM GOING FOR ME?
In short, I don’t see myself turning back from the lifestyle anytime soon. That being said, veganism isn’t perfect. I feel like some people within the movement have very polarizing views and they can execute extremely controversial actions that are responsible for the movement’s negative stigmas (i.e. owning pets, craving meat alternatives, junk food vegans, and being 100% perfect). In addition, every now and then, I will find myself struggling to find a vegan-friendly product in a convenience store, such as shampoo, sunscreen, toothpaste, or even food.
With that aside, my independence and diligence towards making choices that positively impact the animals, my health, and the environment defy all the downsides. I have never eaten more beans, cereal, avocados, coconut, chia seeds, leafy greens, plant-based protein powder, tofu, sweet potatoes, kabocha, and vegan desserts in my entire life. And I LOVE IT. I cannot wait to fully celebrate my vegan experience tomorrow, but hey, I genuinely celebrate a little bit every single day. I just plan on spending more money. Because I’m secretly a cheapskate.
If you are vegan, how long have you been part of the lifestyle? What are your vegan favorites?