A year ago, I published a whole list of questions for readers to answer in the comments! They are all dedicated to food, aka one of my most loved life subjects. I’d thought I’d throw it back a year ago and tackle them all–unaltered, unedited, the exact same as in the post–now for some fun (and to get my stomach rumbling a little bit if you ask me)! Feel free to respond to these questions as well!
- Favorite type of fruit, vegetable and grain?
Vegetable: If we’re talking starchy, it would be the sweet potato, hands down! If we’re talking non-starchy, probably spinach!
Grain: Oats (brown or black rice is a very close second, though)
- What was a family staple you ate as a kid?
Scrambled or sunny-side-up eggs with white rice and a sh*t ton of soy sauce! It worked as my favorite breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
- Favorite food product that is no longer available?
Dunkaroos! I adored them as a child.
- Ideal wedding cake flavor?
Rosewater pistachio with a lavender frosting! Fancy, eh?
- Self-serve buffets or sit-down restaurants?
As much as I love my Indian buffets, I generally prefer sit-down restaurants. It’s so easy for me to overdo it at any self-serve places!
- Favorite meal of the day?
Post-workout meals, which is generally my brunch. If I’m not working out, it’s lunch!
- Would you rather have your spouse bring home your favorite takeout, or cook a homemade meal for you one day?
Here’s a question…is my spouse a good cook?
- If you were stranded on a deserted island with a single tree that could grow ANY type of food, what would that food be? (Heck, you can make PANCAKES grow on a tree in this scenario 😉 )
TBH, this sounds boring as heck, but Japanese sweet potatoes or Okinawan purple sweet potatoes. They’re just that amazing! But tofu, peaches, chocolate oatmeal, and black rice sushi also would be wonderful too!
- Where would you most likely be found in a grocery store?
Cereal aisle, peanut butter aisle, energy bar aisle, or sweet potato aisle.
- Best memory that involved food?
My first time at the Vegan Street Fair. I met so many of my current vegan friends there while enjoying some of the best vegan treats–all without giving a care.
- Favorite food-related tradition?
Attending all-vegan potlucks with my friends at least once every two months, sometimes even once a month! It’s so fun!
- Most delicious-looking dish that you saw in a cartoon?
Have you seen Ratatouille? Remy’s rendition on Ratatouille looks absolutely to die for, but I’d never eat it because it was made by a mouse. And I have an uncanny hatred for rodents.
- What food would you want to bathe in (as demonstrated)?
A mixture of skin-friendly foods, such as mashed avocados with lemon juice, sesame oil, tomatoes, and cucumber-infused water.
- Favorite type of cuisine?
ALWAYS rotates between Thai and Indian! At the moment, I’m craving more Thai food!
- How many food-related Pin boards do you have?
Three! One for recipes, one for health, and one for crazy things I want to try!
- Most versatile food in your opinion?
You’re going to hate me for saying this. Nut butter. Oh, did you think I was going to say sweet potatoes? That’s a great guess, but I can’t drink sweet potatoes in an acai bowl. Nut butter, on the other hand…
- Wraps or sandwiches?
Neither appear in my diet at all often, but I’ve grown up eating more sandwiches than wraps. It really depends on my mood now! I adore open-faced sandwiches but I’m also SUCH a sucker for lavash wraps. Yum!
- Are you a scheduled-meal eater or a grazer?
I am generally a scheduled meal eater. I only graze once in a blue moon if I find that one of my main meals didn’t fill me up or provide me with enough nutrients.
- Chocolate or vanilla?
I love both, but best believe that I’m reaching for chocolate first!
- What is a food that you could eat every single day without getting tired of it?
Japanese sweet potatoes. But I could also never get tired of cinnamon, turmeric, sunflower seed butter, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, apple bananas, kabocha squash, tofu, barhi dates, and garbanzo beans!
- Food that you LOVE but rarely have?
Yucca root and barhi dates! Since visiting Vietnam, I’m now on the hunt for yucca to cook it in coconut milk and make a healthified rendition on coconut yucca (it’s filled with sugar. LOL!)!
- All-time favorite restaurant?
Cafe Gratitude. It just has everything you could ask for!
- Best cookbook?
How could I possibly pick one? Well, I’ll go with my Top Three (in no particular order): Clean Sweets by Arman Liew, The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon, and lastly, The Paleo Kitchen by Juli Bauer and George Bryant. I know, I’m not Paleo at ALL, but there are a few amazing recipes that are easily veganizable.
- Favorite family-made recipe?
My mother’s breakfast curry!
- Food that you used to hate but now you love?
There are so many I can name because I was such a picky eater. Might as well name most of them: plain broccoli, sushi, eggplant, dumplings, chocolate ice cream, and Sriracha.
- If you had a teleportation machine, which foodie spot would you go to first?
I’d probably hit up Santa Monica or New York City first! Both of these cities have the best restaurants!
- Crunchy or doughy cookies?
I love cookies that have a good mix of both. Cookies should have a sense of firmness and crisp around its edges, but should have a soft and doughy center.
- What is your favorite go-to recipe for anytime of the day?
A hearty curry with lots of spices, beans, tofu, kabocha squash, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, onions, and garlic served with brown rice!
- Cold cereal or oatmeal/porridge?
If you could see the look on my face once I looked at this question, you would feel how drained I was with indecisiveness. I absolutely NEED both!
- Favorite ice cream flavor?
I’m cheating on this one: chocolate cinnamon with peanut butter chunks and a raspberry jam swirl!
- Would you rather have to wait 12 hours (not including sleep) before eating a huge meal, or be able to eat at every hour but only in hand-sized portions?
I think I would rather eat at every hour in hand-sized portions. I’m such an impatient person. I can fast, but not for 12 hours!
- Do you like sharing food?
Depends on how much on what the food is and how much I have to share.
- Sweet or savory?
Why not both?
- Favorite seasonal flavor?
Pumpkin pie spice! Wait…but I also love gingerbread…and then there’s apple pie, hot cocoa, and sugar cookie. Oh dear.
- Would you rather eat an unlimited amount of carbs or an unlimited amount of fat in one sitting without gaining weight?
Definitely an unlimited amount of carbs! I generally feel better eating more carbohydrates than I do with more fat. Of course, I always need a balance. I feel as if an unlimited amount of carbohydrates. Bread, rice, sweet potatoes, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, butternut squash, kabocha squash, beans, YUM!
- Tea or coffee?
- Signature dish to bring to a potluck?
Plain baked sweet potatoes or my tandoori tempeh!
- Worst first-world-foodie-problem?
When the edges of your plate aren’t clean and you have to wipe around the plate to clear everything.
- What restaurant dish would you want to replicate?
These incredibly fluffy and delicious zucchini and pinto bean pupusas made with corn tortillas from Un Solo Sol in Los Angeles! They were amazing and so unique!
- How do you best like your oatmeal?
Cooked on the stovetop. They absorb liquid the best that way!
- What do you typically eat in a day?
Breakfast: Three mini Japanese sweet potatoes dusted with cinnamon, corn flakes in protein “mylk” (1-2 scoops of protein powder + water), or toasted slices of Dave’s Killer Bread topped with two-ingredient protein frosting and fruit of choice (my favorites lately are apple bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and peaches!)
Lunch: a salad with lots of vegetables, avocado, quinoa, some kind of vegan protein, and a simple homemade dressing, a bowl of oatmeal with fruit and granola, a vegetable-stir fry with tofu or a bean curry and brown rice or sweet potatoes
Dinner: vegetable and tofu spring rolls, a vegetable and tofu stir-fry, legume pasta with vegetables, soup with vegetables, beans, or tofu, or Thai-style coconut milk curry with lots of spices, tofu, and vegetables
Dessert: a bowl of kettle corn, corn flakes in protein “mylk”, or Golden Milk
- Best city for foodies?
I’m totally biased to say Los Angeles, but you will find amazing food in New York, Seattle, London, Paris, Ho Chi Minh City, and Maui as well!
- Guiltiest food pleasure?
Eating peanut butter out of the jar with a chopstick. I ate half a jar in one night with this method.
- What is a way someone can ruin your favorite meal?
Adding too much salt or too much oil!
- Favorite food-related challenge?
It used to the be the 10,000 Calorie Challenge UNTIL I attempted it myself and got sick. Spoiler alert: it is to WATCH.
- Last thing you ate?
Three (only two pictured) mini apple bananas with two-ingredient protein frosting (made with Orgain Peanut Butter Plant Based Protein Powder) and a bag of kettle corn! (I also had three cups of caffeine free hibiscus ginger tea)
- Greatest “not-so-healthy” meal you’ve ever had?
Oh goodness gracious! This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE toughie. What’s interesting is that years ago, I would never have allowed myself a “not-so-healthy” meal in my diet. If I did ask myself this around that time, I wouldn’t have an answer since I would have no idea what any of those foods tasted like! Anyhow, since I do have many answers, I’m going to have to pull another top three on this one (in no chronological order)! Sorry, but NOT sorry. 😉
- SunCafe Organic’s gluten free Margherita pizza
- Anything from Donut Friend
- Homemade: Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n with Sriracha, brown rice, sesame seeds, bell peppers, and caramelized onions!
HOWEVER, I will say that I’m currently craving the homemade meal the most at the moment.
- Favorite childhood candy?
I loved many, but Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups always remained a top favorite of mine!
- Something that you ALWAYS have to eat cooked?
Sweet potatoes, eggplants, cruciferous vegetables, and all legumes except peanuts. Oh yeah, and I can’t eat raw pancake batter, either.
- What is a dish or a type of food that you’ve always wanted to try and that you haven’t already?
Oooooooh, let’s answer with a dish AND a type of food!
- Dish: Vegan poutine! I’m thinking about making a healthified poutine recipe with sweet potatoes too–stay tuned!
- Food: Black sapote–it’s known as the chocolate pudding fruit!
- Weirdest food combination that you think surprisingly works?
Tofu and ketchup! Eh, I don’t know if that’s a weird combination, though. Ketchup also goes really well with Brussel sprouts and zucchini.
- Do you have trust issues with people when it comes to food and cooking?
- Would you rather do all the cooking in the house or have your spouse make food for you every single day?
As read above, I’m a bit over-controlling with my food, so I’d do all the cooking………just for myself, that is. Unless if it’s Valentine’s Day or my birthday, when I want my spouse to make something for me effing gourmet and fabulous.
- Favorite cooking tool?
The stovetop! You can cook anything and everything on it in a healthful way!
- Are you or were you once a messy eater?
Was and always will be a messy eater. No wonder I don’t have a boyfriend.
- Five-course or family-style?
Family-style. Sometimes I can’t resist helping myself twice or three more times.
- Something that you ALWAYS have to eat raw?
Have you ever had boiled or microwaved salad greens? Nasty!
- Weirdest food label you’ve ever seen?
A labeled “vegan” product that contained casein protein in the ingredients. I don’t remember if I found this while on vacation abroad or at home, but still! Yeah. Won’t name names.
- Are you or were you once a picky eater?
I used to be such a picky eater as a kid–I think I ate five different dishes until I turned seven years-old. Now I’m much more daring! I would be willing to try anything and everything (as long as it’s vegan, of course)!
- Food that you used to LOVE but now you HATE?
All types of cheese.
- How do you best like your eggs?
Untouched and kept to the hens.
- Favorite movie-night snack?
Kettle corn or popcorn with turmeric!
- What is a not-so-healthy meal whose healthified version tastes better than the real thing?
Baked French fries made with sweet potatoes or any root vegetable tastes so much better and lighter than conventional potato fries, at least in my opinion!
- Hamburgers, hot dogs, or chicken nuggets?
Pass the faux chicken nuggets, please!
- Last meal on Earth?
A massive Buddha bowl with cinnamon-roasted Japanese sweet potatoes, sauteed kale, blackened Brussel sprouts, caramelized onions, orange tofu, quinoa, and a drizzle of curry-flavored tahini.
- Most exotic food you’ve ever had?
Probably authentic black-eyed pea che, which is a dessert made of sweet coconut milk rice and black-eyed peas!
- Favorite type of food-related gathering?
Potlucks. You can get a taste of everyone’s cooking!
- What kind of food-eating contest do you think you’d win if you entered?
Anything that involves blue corn tortilla chips, vegan ice cream, dates, sweet potato fries, or plain ol’ guacamole. Man vs. Food ain’t got nothin’ on me.
- What do you generally do with something that didn’t turn out well in the kitchen?
I generally just eat it and suffer or add something on top to make it taste better or look better!
- Rare, medium rare, or well-done?
I don’t eat meat anymore, but I’ll say I like my vegetables, starches, and proteins well-done. Crispy baked tofu, perfectly roasted sweet potatoes, and blackened cauliflower? Yes, please!
- Favorite condiment?
Sriracha–I’d take it everywhere with me!
- Best social media platform for food porn?
Pinterest. It’s dangerous.
- Most epic dish you’ve ever heard of?
Chocolate kale cake! I think it’s not too overwhelming where you’re putting so many outlandish ingredients together, but you’re marrying an unlikely pair and making something beautiful!
Miss you, Arman!
- If you could never cook your own food again, who would you want to make everything you eat?
For all of my savory meals, I’d pick Ella from Deliciously Ella. For all my breakfast foods, Arman of The Big Man’s World! For desserts, hands down, I want Katie of Chocolate Covered Katie to bake for me!
- Does a trip to Whole Foods excite you more than a trip to the mall?
Yes, indeed, absolutely, and ENTIRELY.
- Weirdest food you’ve ever tried?
Coffee jelly. And I thought it was disgusting.
- What stemmed your love for food?
Health and fitness, because I started looking into cooking and experimenting with different ingredients!
- Something that you would never eat with your hands?
Anything with LOTS of sauce.
- Do you cringe when all of the food on your plate touches each other?
If it’s Indian food, absolutely not. If it’s peanut butter touching tofu or something with ketchup, then we have a problem.
- Fork or spoon?
Spoons all the way! You can use them for anything!
- Would you rather have to blend everything you eat into a smoothie/soup, or have to eat everything with your hands?
Blending everything I eat in a liquidy consistency would probably result in pretty disgusting meals, so I’d risk it by eating everything with my hands. BUT, I’d wear reusable gloves every time I eat.
- Salads or lettuce wraps?
I used to be such a lettuce wrap fanatic, but now, I think I’m more of a salad gal! You can mix everything up really nicely and not worry about dirty fingers!
- Favorite food-related holiday?
Probably my birthday, because I can eat anything I want with guarantee that I’d receive it!
- How many photos of your food do you take before actually eating it?
Sometimes one, sometimes a hundred. Depends on whether or not I’m 100% sure if it’s going online!
- What is a food that you always bring with you when you travel?
Protein bars! They make amazing snacks that keep me satisfied and excited because there are so many flavors!
- Favorite cooking/food-related show?
Cupcake Wars. I don’t know why, but I’m obsessed.
- Pick only ONE type of breakfast, ONE type of lunch and ONE type of dinner meal to have every day.
Breakfast: roasted Japanese sweet potatoes dusted with cinnamon and a drizzle of sunflower seed butter
Lunch: two bowls of curry–one with kabocha squash, eggplant, bell peppers, basil, and organic tofu in a red coconut milk broth, and the other a tomato-based Chana masala (Indian-style chickpeas often with cilantro and heaps of spices)–with a side of purple rice and a salad of spinach and kale
Dinner: a plate of roasted Brussel sprouts, onions, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, and carrots with two mini whole grain Roti-like flatbreads and a dip tray filled with Sriracha, Mae Ploy, hummus, tahini, and guacamole
- Favorite type of protein-rich food? Least favorite?
Favorite: Tofu, just because there is never a time where I’m not in the mood for it!
Least favorite: Aside from anything I don’t eat in general, can’t say I have one!
- Which sounds worse: eating cereal with water or eating cereal with orange juice?
Given that I’ve experienced eating cereal with water, I would probably stick to something that’s bland and not too sweet to overpower the cereal! But if you’re wondering, yes, eating cereal with water is very, very gross.
Feel free to share your responses to these questions above!