PERFECT for Pancake Sunday…
Throwing it back long ago, I had the toughest time trying to find a vegan pancake recipe that wouldn’t fall apart and was high in protein. I would normally come across these lovely recipes that yielded 6-8 teeny tiny pancakes. Um, I don’t know about you, but I preferred to have a pound or two of a sweet potato that’s nutrient dense, rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals for breakfast than a pancake stack made for a small creature, like my dog. Not at ALL hating on anyone for making these recipes, but I just needed something satiating, you know?
Eventually, once I was instructed to gain some healthy weight, I did plenty of research about nutritious recipes that I could have fun with, including vegan protein pancakes! The majority of the protein pancake recipes I came across required oat flour, which I couldn’t make without a blender, so I did end up making some substitutions from recipes I’ve adapted. This was my first time trying the pancake recipe, and I am absolutely delighted by the result!
And I don’t know about you, but I think that assembling all of your pancakes as a flat blanket rather than a stack makes them so much easier to eat and to decorate. The added surface area just allows way more room to pile on the goodness! Plus, nothing annoys me more than toppling strawberries on small pancake stacks.
Depending on the flour and protein powder you use, these pancakes will turn out so fluffy, moist, rich, thick and versatile with anything you top it with. I added heaps of mashed strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, turmeric, maca powder, white chocolate peanut butter, peanut butter granola, Trader Joe’s crunchy cinnamon squares, muesli and monkfruit-sweetened maple syrup! However, depending on the protein powder you use, you can pretty much use anything. Even a savory pancake would work with an unflavored protein!
In this case, I actually doubled the batter so I could edit the second batch in case if the first didn’t hold together, but it turned out that I got to eat more pancakes! Hey, I’m bulking, nothing wrong with that!
P.S. You could also make this recipe into an upside-down bowl cake. It tastes just as amazing!
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder
- 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour; can sub for oat flour, all purpose flour, spelt or whole wheat flour
- Scant pinch of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Scant pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin; can also sub for applesauce or mashed banana
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed or flaxseed meal + 2.5-3 TBSP water)
- 1/4 + 1-2 TBSP liquid of choice
- Gently create the flax egg by mixing the flaxseed meal and water. Let set in the fridge for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients including the flax egg. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Optional, but I left my batter in the fridge overnight to thicken a little bit.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or pan on low-medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Take a spoonful of batter and form a pancake disk onto the pan and allow it to cook completely. Top the pan with a lid to allow optional formation. This will take a while, but patience is key!
- Flip the pancake when ready and wait for 1-2 minutes (shorter if you like softer, more undercooked pancakes and longer if you like overdone pancakes).
- Repeat steps 6-7 until you run out of batter.
- Decorate and demolish!
Pancake stacks or pancake blankets? What is your favorite pancake recipe?