I’m a bit mixed about the fact that it’s Saturday. One, it’s a weekend, but two, it’s just one day closer to being Monday before Sunday is over. Keeping this in mind, I figured that it would be best to upload another video from a couple of weeks ago when I posted my purple sweet potato kabocha Oreo cake on Instagram! On top of this being such an awesome recipe, I also went out and about, eating delicious food along the way. It’s amazing what your home city has if you just bother to explore; just like taking a mini vacation, you visit something new and exciting without having to pay for airfare!
BREAKFAST: PURPLE SWEET POTATO KABOCHA OREO CAKE
Inspired by my Instant Brownie in a Bowl, I just called this Instant Oreo Cake in the title because let’s face it: having to say purple sweet potato kabocha Oreo cake is such a hassle. However, this cake is absolutely amazing because it’s super thick, creamy, sweet, and if you let it set for a couple of minutes while you assemble all of your toppings, then it tastes JUST like an Oreo brownie cake in a bowl! I’m serious. The texture is gooey, thick, and just UGH. You wouldn’t want to make your kabocha pudding any other way.
- 1 scoop cookies n’ creme protein powder; I used this casein brand that was recommended to me
- 1-1.5 cups cooked kabocha squash
- 1 small/medium purple sweet potato
- Sweetener to taste (optional); I used Stevia
- Water; measurements will vary, but you can also use almond milk or coconut milk
- Toppings of your choice: I used Love Grown Foods Sea Stars cereal, Nature’s Path Panda Puffs, Julian Bakery Paleo Coconut Flakes, Evoke Foods Morning Zen muesli, strawberries, half of the cookies n’ creme protein made into a 2-ingredient frosting, Artisana Raw cashew butter, Arctic Zero toasted coconut ice cream, Enlightened sea salt caramel ice cream, a healthy breakfast blueberry cake and a healthy peanut butter chocolate chip cake made from Arman of thebigmansworld
- Cook your kabocha and sweet potato completely. Let cool.
- Peel the kabocha and sweet potato.
- Blend kabocha, sweet potato, Stevia, protein and water until smooth. You will have to add more water, but do so in increments.
LUNCH: WOODLANDS INDIAN CUISINE
You probably know by now that my obsession with Indian food is getting a little unhealthy. DON’T worry, my friends, I take plenty of breaks every week, but I love it SO much. Anyways, I was itching to find a completely meatless Indian restaurant, and it took me a while. Most of what I saw had vegetarian options that were really cheesy and full of milk (but I LOVE small amounts of paneer), which do not go well with my digestion. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Woodlands Indian Cuisine had mostly vegan options at the lunch buffet that day, meaning my stomach could be full of food AND not have to suffer!
I ate mostly the jalapeno chutney, yellow pulses, and garlic chana masala, which were super flavorful and delicious. What I do wish is that there was more variety, especially in the vegetable arena, and I was a bit disappointed to not find any bhartas or saag too. However, I made the most of it and was satisfied with what I ate. There are probably a lot of more options on the menu that I wouldn’t know of at the time.
DINNER: RED GINGER
I’m coming up with a Healthy Foodie’s Guide to L.A.: Thai Cuisine blog post, but this is hands down my family’s and my favorite Thai restaurant in Los Angeles! The menu actually includes a lot of Japanese dishes such as sushi, sashimi, miso and noodle soups, so it’s technically a fusion restaurant. Either way, I love it, because the service is super friendly, and the food can be catered to you liking in any way! The pra ram originally had chicken, but I got it with steamed tofu to make it lighter and balance the seafood curry! The steamed tofu and vegetables actually soaked up the peanut sauce so well that I ate almost all of the sizzling plate! As for the seafood curry, I thought that it tasted awesome too, but I prefer the panang curry because of its spiciness. Overall, definitely recommend Red Ginger and all of these dishes to you!
Hope you enjoyed the video and don’t forget to like and subscribe if you did! I really like putting these kinds of vids together because they’re fun and easy, but if you have any more ideas, comment below and I look forward to making another video very soon!