Reminiscent of childhood: remember when you’d just sit at the table or cuddle up in the couch with a giant bowl of sweet raisin bran? Me too! I was not actually the biggest fan of Raisin Bran until I started to transition to a healthier lifestyle. I liked the graininess of the bran flakes and its hint of brown sugar along with the chewy and naturally sweet raisins.
I know that cereal isn’t the healthiest breakfast on the planet because it doesn’t offer the same vitamins and minerals as fruits, eggs and vegetables would. But sometimes you reeeeeeeeeeeeeally just want a bowl of Raisin Bran. I gotcha on this one. All you do is find unsweetened or naturally sweetened whole grain or sprouted flake cereal, unsweetened raisins, some fruit and muesli, plant milk and you’re good!
BUT, if you’re like me, and you have this overriding obsession with sweet potatoes, then you know what to do. Microwave one of those orange bad boys, chop it up and mix it into your bowl and eat it with your cereal! Trust me, my other sweet potato cereal recipe is so tasty that you’ll be so surprised that you enjoy something that sounds so weird.
In this case, I used organic soy milk. Normally, I would use coconut or cashew milk, but I was out of those two and had to go with the third best dairy-free alternative. While soy milk offers a good amount of protein, you should always get organic soy milk without any sugars or additives. If you’re intolerant to soy or you just don’t eat it for some reason, stick to another plant milk or regular milk.
- 1 medium or large sweet potato
- 3/4 cup sprouted grain or whole grain flake cereal of choice
- 2 TBSP unsweetened raisins
- Plant milk of choice; I used unsweetened organic soy milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Opt: strawberries, coconut, muesli, granola, etc.
- Cook your sweet potato as desired: baking, boiling, microwaving, steaming, etc.
- Chop your sweet potato in small pieces.
- Mix the sweet potato and raisins with the flake cereal.
- Top with cinnamon and optional ingredients.
- Shake the bowl a little to thoroughly mix all ingredients around.
- Pour milk on top of the cereal and enjoy!
Were you a Raisin Bran kid? What are your thoughts on soy?