This social media envy is something I’ve been wanting to try for FOREVER. I’ve seen cauliflower oatmeal all over Instagram, Tumblr and all over the Internet!
When I tried this oatmeal, I was not disappointed at all. The cauliflower and oats blended extremely well with the cocoa, Stevia and vanilla bean powder to taste like this chocolately creamy concoction. It proves that you CAN incorporate vegetables in a fun way without having to eat salads and steamed vegetables all the time! Not to say those are bad, but they can get boring after a while!
To yield the creamiest oats, I would recommend boiling or steaming the cauliflower until the florets become so soft that when you poke at them, the tip either goes right through or a branch falls off, all before you pulse them. The microwave is the second-best option and is more beneficial if you don’t have a lot of time. Using milk or plant milk would make the oats even creamier! Because who doesn’t like soft, fluffy cake for breakfast?
- 1 cup water or milk of choice; can be half and half
- 1/2 gluten free rolled oats or 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup cauliflower, grated or pulsed
- 2 TBSP non-alkalized cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2-3 tsp Stevia
- Pinch of salt
- Opt: coconut, nut butter, chia or flax seeds, chocolate chips, etc.
- Pulse cauliflower (can also be pre-boiled or pre-steamed cauliflower) in a blender or food processor until finely grated in “rice” form.
- Set a pot on medium heat. Add in oats, salt and liquid, and stir.
- When the oats start to bubble, allow the oats to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add in cauliflower, cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder and Stevia.
- Stir thoroughly until all liquid is evaporated and serve. You can also leave the oats overnight for the next morning!
How do you sneak in more veggies into your diet? What are your tips on making the creamiest bowl of oats?