I don’t want the smoothie season to be over! I haven’t gotten enough nana ice cream to fulfill my system yet, and by that, I mean a million bowls.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE fall food: oatmeal, protein pancakes/waffles, omelets, avocado toast, cinnamon raisin banana bread, etc. But it’s sad to see the smoothie pictures disappearing. There are just some things that should be enjoyed all year-round. I mean, why glorify pumpkin for only three months when you can for twelve?
In general, I actually add so much ice to my smoothies that my result grows from around half a liter to nine. But I don’t mind drinking six jars of absolute deliciousness. Because I don’t eat until after I workout, when it is meal time for me, I don’t stop eating at all. Leave me at a table full of food after a kickboxing or skipping class and you won’t find anything left when you come back.
I’m being serious. I come to school eating smoothies out of both one Mason jar and a 20-oz thermos with a spoon wondering if everyone else thinks I eat like a caveman. Well it goes to prove that you don’t need to starve yourself to be healthy!
This is soooooo creamy, naturally sweet and peanut buttery you will die. It makes the perfect breakfast and post-workout recovery shake as well!
Rather than using regular peanut butter, I used PB2 so that it wouldn’t stick to my blender, but feel free to use regular peanut butter. If you’re allergic to peanuts, I am so, so sorry for you. But in all seriousness just substitute for almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter! And because it’s fall, how about a little pumpkin butter?
Also, you can add a bunch of other superfoods to customize the smoothie to your liking: chia seeds, kale, spinach, cacao powder, maca, hemp, and more! Smoothies are basically a no-recipe type food. Just throw anything in there and you’re good to go!
But be wise. Don’t put in arugula.
- 1-2 overripe frozen bananas or 1-1.5 cups of overripe frozen bananas
- 1-2 TBSP peanut butter or 2 TBSP PB2 (can also sub for any nut butter if allergic)
- 1 cup of almond milk, cashew milk or water; can also sub for dairy or plant milk
- 1-2 cups of ice cubes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- Optional sweetener (it’ll already be sweet, so I don’t think you need any if your bananas are ripe!)
- Opt: 1 scoop of vegan protein powder, yogurt, coconut, cinnamon, Stevia, honey, spinach, strawberries, etc.
- Blend all ingredients very smoothly on high.
What is your favorite fall breakfast? Do you eat a lot after a workout?