Taco night is one of my family’s favorites. It’s not my personal favorite, because half the time I get some sort of meat gristle between my teeth and spend nearly an hour getting it out (*cough* PORK *cough*). I’ll admit though, turkey is a keeper. It’s one of my favorite meats: flavorful, delicious, lean, filling and doesn’t get stuck at all!
For this recipe, it’s an awesome way to get rid of some lettuce and leftover protein in your fridge (tilapia cabbage wraps, anyone?), but also a wonderful way to throw a party! Who doesn’t like Mexican food after all? For the less carb-conscious, throw in some corn tortillas and Spanish rice for a real fiesta. And don’t forget the guac!
RECIPE (Serves 4-5)
- 1 pound of organic lean ground turkey breast***
- 2-3 heads of Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- Mrs. Dash seasoning to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To garnish: chopped tomatoes, salsa and pepper
***Other suggestions for protein: chicken, grass-fed beef, pork, lamb, tilapia, mahi mahi, shrimp, TVP, tofu or black beans!
- Take your turkey breast and massage it with the seasonings. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to really absorb the flavors, but it can also be overnight.
- Heat a nonstick skillet on low-medium heat. You will tell it’s hot when you add some garlic and onions and hear it sizzle!
- Take your turkey breast and stir-fry it on the pan until browned.
- Assemble the meat into a large serving dish, along with your Romaine lettuce.
- Tear off four large Romaine lettuce leaves and place two on top of each other.
- Scoop in some turkey to your liking.
- Garnish with tomatoes and more seasoning if desired.
What’s your favorite Mexican food? I honestly have a pretty hard time deciding what I want whenever I visit a Mexican restaurant. Fajitas veggies, black beans and shrimp tacos have always been my top faves!