I walked into Teavana one day and tasted the best fruit and herbal tea I’ve ever encountered: the youthberry and wild orange blossom tea. This comes from someone who hates oranges. Despite that being so I adored these pancakes! They weren’t too citrus-y or too bland at all! You can really taste the orange flavor. It may not be super orange in color once you cook the batter, but hey, don’t judge. Isn’t that what food coloring is for? (even though at the time I didn’t have food coloring so I recommend you use some ^_^)
- 3-4 large slices of a peeled sumo orange or 2 mandarins, peeled
- 1/2 cup egg whites (vegans can use 2-3 flax eggs)
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Sweetener to taste
- Opt: berries, ginger, almonds, coconut, chocolate, Greek yogurt, toppings, etc.
- Blend egg whites, lemon juice and oranges until smooth.
- Combine dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet and stir.
- Heat a nonstick pan and cook the batter.
- Top with whatever you’d like and enjoy!
These were inspired by a collection of orange cake bites at the For Heavens Cakes bakery in Thousand Oaks I ate as a child. But also, I decided to make them because of the adorable sumo oranges laying around in my kitchen. So why not be a little bit spontaneous?
BTW, stacking pancakes is such a frustrating process! I kept trying to layer properly, but I would have to go to school in the morning quickly and wouldn’t have time to make everything uber proper! But right before they fell off the plate I ate them. Nom.
Orange you glad I used this terrible pun? 😛