Everybody should learn how to make eggs once they start cooking for themselves. Wheaties with milk and orange juice with a side of toast just don’t cut it for variety. You can do anything with eggs. Scrambles aren’t exactly my cups of tea so I always had omelets. Little did I know that you could make a frittata without an oven! I experimented for many meals and succeeded every time.
It literally looks and tastes like pizza. And if you’re oh-so curious to know what the bottom looks like, it is so crispy and brown on the bottom! Deeeeeelish!
And also, this is a guilt-free meal to enjoy in front of the television. Put it in an empty pizza box, turn on Netflix and eat the entire pie. Go ahead. Really.
- Eggs or egg whites–measurements will vary depending on how small or big you want it to be, but 2/3 cup egg whites is the bare minimum for a fluffy result; for a thick frittata (and more nutrients), use at least one whole egg with egg whites 🙂
- Veggies of choice: I used 1 mushroom, 1/4 cup chopped spinach, and 2 TBSP chopped onions
- Protein of choice
- 2 TBSP organic tomato or pasta sauce that are purely tomatoes
- 1 tsp coconut/olive oil, grass-fed butter or any nonstick spray to grease the pan (this makes the bottom crispy!)
- Pinch of baking powder
- Cheese (I’m not the hugest fan of cheese in general but I think mozzarella and goat cheese would taste the best)
- Protein (great ones are chicken, turkey sausage [see bottom of post], grass-fed beef, pork shreds or tofu!)
- Fruits and legumes such as walnuts, avocados, almonds, etc.
- Chili sauce or spices
- Thickener like coconut flour
- Heat a pan on medium-low and spray with coconut oil
- Whisk egg mixture together with baking powder and spices (if any).
- Chop your add-ins finely and mix in with the eggs. If you want, you can stir in your sauce as well but this makes the egg a little more wet.
- When the pan is hot, pour egg mixture and spread veggies evenly. Turn the heat slightly higher for a crispier crust, but not all the way otherwise you may burn the egg.
- Put a lid on top of the pan and let heat until the top is completely cooked.
- Serve on a plate and top with other condiments or additions 😀
Do you also like eating your eggs with a spoon? I don’t know, I think it’s much better than a fork. But that’s just me 🙂 I know, I’m weird!
Other Topping Ideas:
Mozzarella Caprese Pizza
Indian Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry Pizza
Have you pizza and eat it too!