Apples and sweet potatoes? Sounds kinda unlikely to me.
Sweet potatoes are a great alternative to those on a grain-free or paleo but not necessarily low carb diet. Their dense amount of fiber and resistant starch (especially when cooled but tastes nasty) are just as good if not better than those of their grainy counterparts, not to mention more potassium than a banana and almost 300% of our daily recommended vitamin A content!
I never pictured combining a sweet potato with a fruit besides the banana, but this was literally sweet, hot, soft and moist apple pie in a bowl. It tastes amazing with maple syrup, date caramel or even a small squeeze of lemon juice!
Oh yeah, and I never dispose the skin. I eat it on its own or with a little Sriracha. YUMM.
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 extra small apple
- 1 tsp cinnamon (1/2 for the apple and the other 1/2 for topping)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Opt: any sweetener like honey or maple syrup, dates, peanut butter, coconut, almonds, chocolate, etc.
- Rinse both your apple and sweet potato well and gently pat dry. Poke a small hole to prevent explosion.
- Microwave your sweet potato for 8 minutes, flip on the opposite side after 4 minutes. Set aside when finished.
- Chop your apple, put in a small bowl, sprinkle cinnamon on top and stir well.
- Microwave your apple for 3 minutes.
- Peel your sweet potato carefully and mash in a bowl.
- Fold and mix in the apples.
- Top with cinnamon, allspice and other ingredients.
If you want to see other sweet potato recipes that call for a blender or food processor, you can check them out down below:
And if you don’t know what to do with the peel, use it as a crispy topping for a breakfast pizza!
Are you team oatmeal or team sweet potatoes?