Happyfoodlovers has a picture of chocolate sweet potato mousse that blew my mind. I found it imperative to try and make it as soon as possible! It was the perfect dessert to cure my chocolatey-carby cravings. Plus it’s vegan, so you won’t be consuming raw egg whites or butter! I love vegan cooking/baking because you don’t have to worry about eating raw meat or dairy while taste-testing! The thought of consuming raw egg is seriously scary to me. I just got chills typing about it!
What I found very unique about this mousse is that it tastes like frosting, whereas if you were to make it with tofu it’s more of a Jello-like consistency. It turned out much better than what I expected. I thought I would taste the sweet potato, but surprisingly the dark chocolate flavor was very strong. Another great part about this recipe is that it keeps you full for a very long time–for me about four to five hours! I adjusted the recipe to not include coconut oil or any fruit. However, add in whatever you please—bananas, peanut butter, anything! You can even swap the cacao powder for chocolate protein powder! Tweak it any way and feel free to sub flavors and add-ins! I love recipes where you can make your own version of anything, don’t you?
VEGAN CHOCOLATE SWEET POTATO MOUSSE
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or 1 large sweet potato
- 2-3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (cocoa powder works too)
- Stevia, agave nectar or honey to taste
- 3 tablespoons almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Opt. for texture: almond butter, coconut oil, banana, etc.
- Rinse your sweet potato under mildly warm water. Gently blot it dry.
- Microwave your sweet potato for 8 minutes, flipping it in between every 4 minutes. If it’s an extra large sweet potato then it may take 10-12 minutes (flipping every 5-6). Poke at the potato if the skin is coming off and if it’s soft inside. Let cool.
- Peel the skins off the potato as best as you can, cut it into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. I used my Nutribullet for this.
- Add in 3 tablespoons of almond/coconut milk, following with 2-3 tablespoons, more or less if you like, of your cacao/cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, cinnamon, and optional ingredients.
- Blend until everything is absorbed with the sweet potato.
- Scrape all the goodness off with a spoon into a bowl! Note that this took a little bit longer than I wanted to, so feel free to lick off the spoon from your blender!
- Top with anything if you’d like! I used sliced almonds and more cinnamon.
If you try this recipe I really think you’ll love it. It wasn’t originally mine but I wanted to make it so it would contain as little ingredients as possible! If you want, you can heat up the mousse a little bit but I ate mine at room temperature. This is seriously one of my favorite desserts, and not just because it’s vegan. I actually adore sweet potatoes with almond butter, chocolate or cinnamon! I think they’re better like that than if I was to eat them savory. Weird, huh?